Several nominees have emerged for Economic Development Growth Engine, the new economic development board created to guide the city and county’s efforts.
Shelby County Mayor Mark Luttrell and Memphis Mayor AC Wharton Jr. will seek approval to appoint the following:
* Mark Halperin – executive vice president of Boyle Investment Co.
* Deidre Malone – President and CEO of The Carter Malone Group
* Johnny Moore- President and CEO of SunTrust Bank-Memphis
* Richard Smith – Managing director, FedEx Express
* Natasha Bowen – President and CEO of The Growth Coach
* Tom Dyer – Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs LLP
* Larry Jackson – President of Patriot Bank
* Dick Leike – President and co-owner of Crye-Leike Real Estate Services
Mark Yates of Memphis is a joint nominee of the two mayors and will serve as the board chairman. Yates is the executive director for Voices for Memphis’ Children at Le Bonheur Children’s Medical Center.
Two non-voting members will be Memphis City Councilman Kemp Conrad and Shelby County Commissioner Chris Thomas.
Memphis and Shelby County are also working to contract with a search firm to assist with hiring the president of EDGE.
“Establishing the EDGE and appointing its board of directors is a significant step toward rebuilding and reviving our local economy,” Wharton said. “I am asking these individuals to serve because I believe that their experience, professionalism, vision and dedication to our city’s future are what we need to launch this organization. This is a significant responsibility and it comes at an extraordinarily meaningful juncture in our community’s progress. These folks are up to the job and it’s my privilege to present them before the City Council and County Commission.”
Said Luttrell: “Mayor Wharton and I have given a lot of thought about who might best serve on this board. This is a group of people chosen for their business skills and leadership abilities. Their knowledge and talents will provide excellent guidance in our efforts to create new business opportunities in Shelby County. I appreciate their commitment and willingness to serve our community.”