Calling All Artists: Orpheum Seeks Submissions for June 24 Art Auction

The Orpheum Theatre will continue its tradition of celebrating Memphis artists with its 18th Annual Art Auction on Sunday, June 24.

The auction promotes local Memphis artists who each year contribute a wide variety of media and an even broader array of styles. The artists set the minimum bid while collecting 75 percent of the proceeds. The remaining 25 percent is used to fund The Orpheum’s education programs.

Last year’s auction raised more than $12,000 for the artists, and Orpheum president and CEO Pat Halloran expects “to see that number grow this year along with the number of pieces sold,” according to a release.

The Orpheum is still collecting submissions and welcomes artists in the following categories: drawing/pastels, graphics/printmaking, oils/acrylics, photography, watercolor, sculptures and mixed media.

Only original artwork may be submitted. A digital file of the artwork should be emailed to Brooke Thompson at for consideration by Monday, June 11. Artists should also provide all proper displaying materials.

The Orpheum’s Annual Art Auction will begin at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 24 with a viewing of the art and a silent auction. The live auction will begin at 3:00 p.m. The event is free admission.

The Orpheum Theatre is operated by the Memphis Development Foundation, a non-profit organization which depends on the financial support of the community to carry out its mission to foster the enjoyment and understanding of the arts in Memphis, as well as the economic prosperity of Downtown and surrounding areas.

In related news, The Orpheum Theatre’s 2012 Summer Movie Series is well underway and continues through September. In February, The Orpheum received the People’s Choice Award for its Summer Movie Poster Series at the American Advertising Federation Memphis’ ADDY Awards. It’s the only award that is voted on by Memphis’ advertising peers.

The picture ads – featuring images from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “The Big Lebowski,” “The Wizard of Oz” and “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” – also scored the Orpheum a gold ADDY in the Poster Campaign category.

Check out the schedule for the series here.